Saturday, December 13, 2014

Mexican Rice Pudding


Cooking at Home: Arroz con Leche (rice with milk -- Mexican Rice Pudding)

Recipe credit: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/marcela-valladolid/mexican-rice-pudding-arroz-con-leche-recipe.html#!

I modified this recipe just a tad bit:
 

Ingredients:

v  1 can of evaporated milk

v  1 can of condensed milk

v  ½ bag of uncooked medium grain white fortified rice

v  1 box of raisins

v  8 cups of water

v  1-2 organic sticks of cinnamon

v  Ground cinnamon

 

Estimate serving size: 4

 

 
 
 
 
 
Directions:

1)      First I place the rice, cinnamon sticks, and water in a large sauce pan over medium heat.
 


 

2)      Once at boiling point, reduce heat, uncover lid, and let it simmer until water is absorbed.

3)      Mix and stir condensed and evaporated milk and raisins together. Bring to a boil again. Then reduce heat, simmer, uncovered until rice pudding is creamy and thick.

4)      Make sure to stir frequently and add more raisins if you desire. Discard cinnamon sticks. Served warm or cold with ground cinnamon.

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
Q: Why don’t I add whole milk?

A: I’m never a fan especially since I can’t handle too much lactose.


Q: Serving preference?

A:  think it tastes a lot better cold than freshly made. Most rice pudding I’ve seen in stores is usually cold.


Q: Storage-life?

A: In the refrigerator, I would say about 4 days since there aren’t any preservatives added.

Q: What to buy?

A: I don’t usually go for the brand name stuff. I just happen to get these out of courtesy (pictured). Stick with the private labels. You save more money and the ingredients are the same. If you decide to go organic, great! It will enhance the flavors of this Mexican rice pudding.

No comments:

Post a Comment